Wednesday, May 21, 2008

David vs. David

So, I wish I had been wrong about this show; but I wasn't. The worst part is that it was so skewed to one side that I'm afraid people didn't hear what was really offered.

Clive's Choice:
David Cook sang "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2. It was really pretty and I love when he strips a song down to the essentials. I am always surprised by his takes on familiar songs and I like being surprised.
David Archuleta sang "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" by Elton John. This has to be one of the most over used songs on American Idol and while David A. sang it well I already have a song on my computer that sounds just like it... only better really.

Songwriter's Contest:
In a strange twist they have let the contestant's pick from the top 10 vote getters but not the top vote getter, that is supposedly being save for tomorrow night. Oh Joy!
David Cook sang "Dream Big" by Emily Shackelton and it was okay. It proves that he could sing my Great Grandmother's sugar cookie recipe to the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and I would be able to at least say he sang it well and attempted to make it interesting.
David Archuleta sang "In This Moment" by Ryan Gillmore and it was the longest song of my life. The lyrics to this song are just so cheesy and bordering on arrogant that it was hard to listen to. Add to it that the dang thing never went anywhere it just kept droning to the finish line and one has to wonder what Archie saw in it.

Contestant's Choice:
David Cook sang "The World I Know" by Collective Soul and I was floored. I don't know that other's heard it but I couldn't have stopped myself from loving it had I tried. Once again Cookie about the door to his soul and invited us all inside. I know that judge's wanted rocked out and all but what we got was so much better.
David Archulet sang "Imagine" by John Lennon and all I could say was, "Hey, where have I heard that before?" I think he has a pretty voice but he has no real connection with what he is singing and I am almost always left wanting.

So my winner tonight is David Cook and honestly no matter how the votes turn out tomorrow night I believe that it will be David C. not David A. who goes on to long term greatness.

No comments: